Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Game Review: Wildstar




Well, I guess I will start the first post by reviewing a game called WildStar published by NCSOFT. This is an online mmorpg that revolves around the Planet Nexus, a planet abandoned by a powerful race called the Eldan. In this planet, there are various technology and resources being left behind for players to explore. This game was previously a pay-2-play game which recently converted to free-2-play. The game itself is pretty much balanced as you can't cash to win. The features offered in the game is similar to ArcheAge online in which players get to build their own dream house with more customization and explore the creativity within a player.

Let's talk about the race and characters. There are 2 factions, mainly the Exiles and the Dominions. There are 4 classes in each faction. The Exiles: Humans, Granok (big stony guy with stoic facial expression), Aurin (most played class in the Exile due to the 'kawaii' features much like an anime-character), and Mordesh (zombie-like race, hardly seen one so far). The Dominions: Cassian, Mechari, Chua and Draken (tbh, Draken has a very comical face, check them out for the lols).

Yes yes, the next question comes into most gamers looking to try this game out would be: If I am in Exile and my friend wants to play in the Dominion, can we go for adventure together?

The answer is Partially~~~ No.1: You can actually go for adventures together BUT different factions mean players from different faction will slaughter the opposite faction. Thankfully, not to worry, the current population in PVP server kind of small, I guess. So, maybe you can pick your favourite race and play together. I have yet to try this out, just my 2 cents thereotically. From my experience, the community in this game is friendly and helpful. I, myself am currently playing in the PVP server (thanks to my good friend, Lemon who picked PVP server first and joined earlier before me, so yep, as buddies, gotta accompany her



So, what are the features this game has to offer for us,gamers?

Well, tbh, the housing feature really attracted me. There are really no limits to the customization. There is a Vendor Icon in your Housing Plot where you can purchase various furnitures, building blocks, trees, waterfall, lights etc to be placed into your lawn.
That said, one must reach level 14 to unlock the housing feature and level 15 to unlock a Mount. There are 4 types of Mounts available: A dragon-like mount, A Wolf-like mount, A batmobile-like vehicle and A HOVERBOARD! YES, THERE IS A FREAKING HOVERBOARD IN THIS GAME!


Is it very grinding game?

Hmmm, tbh (to be honest), I don't find it as grindy as compared to games like Dragon Nest, Ragnarok, FlyForFun, Tera Online etc. The quests are not that repeatable and Wildstar is based on an open-world concept. There are many different cinematic story behind almost every quest. Of course, the leveling curve is not an S-shaped graph.

Why has such a good game been converted to Free-2-Play from Pay-2-Play?
Good question, but I only did a small research on this. What I got is that many players migrated to World of Warcraft and etc during the period where many new games such as Blade and Soul, Kingdom Under Fire 2 and ArcheAge released. So, developers decided to open up various features for non-cashing gamers to enjoy the game at its max potential.


I am currently playing in the NA PVP server, under the Exile Faction. IGN: Fiora Aphenglow. Currently, I am still enjoying this game at my own pace at low level.
If my fellow readers have question regarding this game, drop your question at the comment section.


No comments:

Post a Comment